Two Saturdays ago, my friends and I did a bar crawl. It was so much fun. I’ve done this Bar Crawl before, but for Halloween and I hated every second of it. I combined my two experiences and came up with the perfect list of how to survive a bar crawl so without further adieu, here’s how to survive a bar crawl:
1. Brunch: This should always be a must! You get to both eat and pregame at the same time. Make sure you carb up! It’ll help you get through the day.
2. Dress for Success: Make sure you’re in appropriate clothing because you’re going to spend most of your time waiting in line either to enter the bar to to grab a drink. Make sure you’re comfortable and most importantly make sure you have your alcohol jacket on.
3. The Buddy System: My friends and I went as a huge group, but then we all got divided and lost everyone. I, thankfully, told my friend I was leaving to meet up with another group and I let her know when I get back. Thank God because she was expecting my texts and we met up later and I had the greatest time of my life. Shout out to Roxanne & Candace!!
4. Marathon, Not Race: Seriously, everyone! Take this to heart!!! Day drinking in general- you need to pace yourself. I met a guy that night who ended up in the hospital. Small & Steady wins the race and doesn’t end up in the hospital.
5. Live in the Moment: I saw a couple fighting on the dance floor for twenty-minutes and then grinding when a Pitbull song came on and then making out right after. It was the funniest thing I saw all night BUT don’t put yourself in that situation. Don’t be that girl. Don’t be that guy. Don’t be that couple. Have fun! We are young!
6. Bathrooms: Make sure you know all the ins & outs of the city where you’re going to do the bar crawl. Find a hole-in-the-wall restaurant with a vacant bathroom and no lines instead of waiting in line for the bathrooms at the bar. You don’t want to be put in a situation where you are waiting in line for a porta-potty (because the lines are so much shorter than an actual bathroom), crying to the girls in line with you because you’ve never used a porta-potty before and them teaching you to hover and how many times they’ve done it at festivals. I’ve been in a lot of shitty situations and this was quite possibly the worst.
7. Eat Food While You’re Waiting in Line: I saw a girl pull out a family sized bag of Lay’s chips from her bag and thought it was genius. Might as well fuel yourself if you’re going to stand around.
8. Chug a Gatorade/Electrolytes Before You Sleep: You have no idea how much this helped me. I was already dying the next day, but I think I would have been dead if I didn’t chug a Gatorade before passing out.
A great philosopher once said, “You must crawl before you ball.” I hope you this helps you guys for future crawls.
Thank you guys for reading! I hope you guys have an amazing week.
Stay classy, D.C.